Putting An Estate Plan In Place To Protect Your Loved Ones
A comprehensive estate plan is something that every adult should have. At the Law Offices of Rachel Rolfs & Associates, we work with clients throughout the Tacoma area to create customized, enforceable wills and other estate planning documents.
Led by attorney Rachel Rolfs, who has considerable skill in estate law, our team is committed to helping our clients safeguard their loved ones’ futures through proactive estate planning measures.
What Should I Include In My Will?
No two estate plans are the same. With that said, every legally sound estate plan should have a few key documents to address what you want to happen with your estate in the event of your incapacitation or death. These documents commonly include:
- Last will and testament: You can identify your beneficiaries and designate which assets go to whom.
- Durable power of attorney: If you lack the capacity to handle health and financial matters, your power of attorney can manage them for you.
- Health care directive: Directions for your medical team on how to approach your medical care if you can no longer speak for yourself.
- Guardianship designations: Do you have minor children? You should select someone to be their guardian in case you can no longer care for them.
- Community property agreement: Washington state is a community property state, so married couples may want to have an agreement stating which of their assets are community property and which are not.
When our estate planning lawyers work with you, we can sit down and discuss in detail how to draft each document so it suits your unique needs and goals. We strive to make the process as simple and stress-free for you as possible. Our firm is LGBTQ+ friendly and feels honored to help same-sex couples with their estate planning needs.
Schedule A Consultation
If you are ready to create an estate plan or update an existing one, the Law Offices of Rachel Rolfs & Associates can serve you. Please schedule your initial consultation by calling our Tacoma office toll free at 877-531-6896 or by using our contact form.